Course Nr.: # 8
Date / Location
May 1- 6
Oct. 16- 21
Modern Language teachers and teacher trainers in primary, secondary, vocational and adult education who have some basic knowledge of how to operate their mobile devices (such as iPads, tablets, laptops and smartphones) and now want to explore their pedagogical potential for language teaching & learning with a view to redesigning some of the didactic procedures in their classrooms.
This course aims to:
- further develop relevant teachers competences and confidence in using mobile devices in language education
- promote teacher professionalism in evaluating and selecting available apps and related teaching strategies
- develop participants’ skills related to selecting, adapting and designing content and developing related learning activities
- develop participants’ skills in implementing mobile device-based materials and methodologies for a range of curriculum objectives and contexts in and beyond the classroom
The course activities include demonstrations of useful applications, exemplary materials and teaching practices followed-up with tutor-led presentations and discussions about methodological related topics.
Hands-on activities carried out by participants individually, in pairs and/or small groups include exploring tools, analyzing classroom practices and related lesson activities and creating content to be used in participants’ personal practice.
To address the anticipated variety in participants’ interests and needs (in terms of tools, pedagogical approach, target groups and individual technology skills level) most tasks are designed in such a way that they can lead to differentiated relevant learning experiences and outcomes.
To provide flexible access to course related tasks and resources a virtual learning environment (VLE) will be used. After-course access is offered to promote follow-up communication and collaborative learning when exchanging redesigned local practice experiences and materials.
A pre-course, online questionnaire will be provided to assess pre-knowledge and further align course content and procedures to needs and interests.
Delegates are requested to bring subject book(s) and/or related ICT materials (if available) to be used when creating customised materials and activities
Day-to-Day Course Topics
- Arrival participants
- Greet & Meet
- Cultural Event
• Course overview
• Overview of ways to exploit mobile devices for teaching & learning purposes.
• Analysing apps and sample practices with the help of categorisation / evaluation tools and models (e.g. iPAC)
• Reviewing resources for finding & selecting apps and related materials to use in your teaching.
• Feed up on the course task: (re)design and develop a tablet-supported lesson/project: selecting textbook topic / unit in current practice for elaboration
• Introduction to generic tablet features and activities that are key to language learning
• Presentation and exploration of specific apps and practices to support development of receptive language skills (reading and viewing/listening)
• Introduction to the EU project iTILT2 resources
• Presentation and exploration of specific apps and practices to support development of productive language skills (oral interaction and presentation
• Lesson/materials development
• Creating interactive materials for classroom use:
Focus on form: dedicated apps to support vocab & grammar development
• Designing and implementing class projects
• Exploring related Mobile Assisted Language Learning (MALL) project outcomes & results
• Lesson/project development
• Exploiting tablet features and methodolgies for assessment of & for learning, including peer-review and self-assessment activities.
• Use the iPad & tablet as a display device in connection with other devices
• Finishing materials & lesson/project development
• Presenting & sharing materials
• Briefing on follow-up activities, strategies for further professional development and sharing your know-how & ideas within school
• Course evaluation and Certification
Click here for the General TELLConsult Course Terms (registration procedures, costs, cancellation, etc…)